SECTION 1. Section 46148 is added to the Education Code, to read:
46148. (a) The school day for middle schools and high schools, including middle schools and high schools operated as charter schools, shall begin no earlier than 8:30 a.m.
(b) For purposes of this section, “school day” does not include a “zero period,” or an extra period offered before the start of the regular school day.
(c) This section shall be implemented by middle schools and high schools no later than July 1, 2021, or the date on which a school district’s collective bargaining agreement that is operative on January 1, 2019, expires, whichever is later.
(d) This section shall not apply to rural school districts.
(e) The department is encouraged to post on its Internet Web site available research on the impact of sleep deprivation on adolescents and the benefits of a later school start time and examples of successful strategies for managing the change to a later school start time, and to advise school districts of this posting.
(f) The Legislature encourages school districts and community organizations to inform their communities, including parents, teenagers, educators, athletic coaches, and other stakeholders, about the health, safety, and academic impact of sleep deprivation on middle and high school pupils and the benefits of a later school start time, and to discuss local strategies to successfully implement the later school start time.
SEC. 2. If the Commission on State Mandates determines that this act contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement to local agencies and school districts for those costs shall be made pursuant to Part 7 (commencing with Section 17500) of Division 4 of Title 2 of the Government Code.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- California Sleep Society
- California State PTA
- Children’s Hospital Boston
- Children’s Hospital Los Angeles
- Educate. Advocate.
- Hart Middle School, Students
- High School Parent Engagement Group
- Irvington High School, Students
- Los Angeles County Office of Education
- Loyola University Maryland
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford
- Manhattan Beach Unified School District
- Marc Friedman, School Board Member, San Mateo
- Public Advocates
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- San Jose State University
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Sharon Peaslee, former Seattle School Board Director
- Stony Brook Medicine Program in Public Health
- University of Washington, Department of Biology
- Zoe Lofgren, Member of Congress
High School Parent Engagement Group is not affiliated with the San Juan Unified School District